Las Vegas (English: "The Meadows") was named by Spaniards in the Antonio Armijo party, who used the water in the area while heading north and west along the Old Spanish Trail from Texas. In the 1800s, areas of the Las Vegas Valley contained artesian wells that supported extensive green areas or meadows (vegas in Spanish), hence the name Las Vegas. John C. Fremont travelled into the Las Vegas Valley on May 3, 1844, while it was still part of Mexico.
December 15th, 2013
Viewed 64 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 11/30/2023 at 3:18 PM